U.S. Particle Accelerator School

<< Go back to Programs

IU/USPAS Master's Degree FAQs

USPAS/Indiana University Master's in Beam Physics & Technology FAQs

How does this program work?

First you must complete an IU Online Admissions Application and be accepted by Indiana University. After you are formally enrolled at Indiana University, you will come to USPAS sessions twice per year and for courses successfully completed, you will directly earn Indiana University credit instead of earning host university credit. The program also includes a Master's thesis (3 to 9 credit hours) which much be successfully defended. Detailed information can be found on our website: IU/USPAS Master's Degree Program.

How many credits will I need to earn this degree?

30 semester hours of IU credit with a grade point average of B or above are required.

Over the years I have attended five USPAS courses. Can I transfer all of that credit to Indiana University towards this degree?

You are allowed to transfer in 8 credits. Your previous USPAS courses most likely earned 3 semester hour credits each. This means that you may be able to transfer 2 previous USPAS classes (3 credits each) but that will depend on how long ago you took the courses. If the credit to be transferred was awarded more than 5 years ago then you must petition Indiana University to have the credit reinstated.

How long will it take me to complete the degree?

Generally, students may finish in 3 years. The maximum completion time allowed is 5 years from enrollment date.

I am an international student; may I apply to this program?

At this time, Indiana University is unable to accept international students into this program.

What is the cost?

IU's nonrefundable application fee is $55.00 and their cost per credit hour for this program is $150.00. USPAS registration fees for each session must also be paid.

How do I apply?

To apply for this program please complete an IU Online Admissions Application. Send a copy of your undergraduate transcripts and provide three letters of recommendation. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are strongly recommended. It is very important that you indicate in the "statement of purpose" and in the "student comments section" that the distance M.S. in Beam Physics is desired. Applications may be submitted any time, but they should arrive before October 1 to ensure the ability to register and receive credit for courses taken after Jan 1.

IU's "How to Apply" instructions

Does USPAS financial support cover the Indiana University tuition?

No. The USPAS cannot pay the tuition owed to Indiana University for this degree.